Depending on your situation, you may be interested in talking to your fiancé about creating a prenuptial agreement before your wedding day arrives.
If this piques your interest, it's imperative to have the conversation as far in advance as possible, as it can take some time to work through the finer details. Furthermore, you may not have a clear idea of what a prenuptial agreement is all about.
Here are five questions related to a prenuptial agreement that you may need to answer before you take action:
- Will asking my fiancé for a prenuptial agreement lead to an argument?
- I thought prenuptial agreements were only for rich people. Is this true?
- Does it cost a lot of money to create a prenuptial agreement?
- What types of things are best to include in a prenuptial agreement?
- Is it possible to alter a prenuptial agreement at a later date, or is it set in stone forever?
These may not be the only questions you need to answer about a prenuptial agreement, but they'll probably enter your mind at some point. The best thing you can do is answer each and every one based on your personal situation.
For example, your fiance may be just as interested in a prenuptial agreement as you, making it easy to have the conversation.
If you come to realize that creating a prenuptial agreement is a good idea, answer these questions, among others, to ensure that you understand your legal rights and what to do next. The knowledge you gather will go a long way in removing some stress from the process.
Source: Fox Business, "9 Questions You’re Embarrassed to Ask About Prenups," accessed April 03, 2018